Today’s Parenting Tip:
DECIDE: The Parenting Highway can help you be the nurturing parent you want to be.
PRACTICE: Which nurturing lane on the parenting highway gives you the most trouble?
- Are you too harsh with your discipline or do you use destructive talk or name-calling?
- Do you have strings attached to your love – expect children to earn your love by being popular, beautiful, on the honor role, or a star?
- For young children, have you let them know you know how to take care of them and like doing so?
- For older children, do you ask what help they really need or do you always make that decision for them?
- Do you give your child too many things and too much attention?
- Are you there when your child needs you – in person and in spirit?
Today, whichever lane is hardest for you, think of one way you can do better.
For example, do you often find yourself multi-tasking to the point that you aren’t really “there” – even when you are physically there?
Make a plan to spend time concentrating only on your child at certain points everyday – in the morning before work, at dinner, on the way home from school, at bedtime, etc.
Today’s Parenting Tip was inspired by our featured picture book, IGGY PECK, ARCHITECT. Read the book to a child in your life each day as a reminder of what you are deciding and practicing that day.
Come back each day for another good parenting decision and how to practice it. (Each day’s activity will also be posted on the Daily Parenting Tips page for easy access.)
Read the whole story at Your Child’s Special Talents, Part 3.