From Summer Activities for Children, Part 2:
Turn the “silly food” you thought up into a game like Mr. Steig’s Pizza Game. You can see how it is done at Summer Fun or from the book, PETE’S A PIZZA by William Steig. Get ready for lots of giggles and fun. And, decide ahead of time how many games you’re willing to play, because this one is a game you’ll be asked to do over and over.
- You and your child will take turns being the main ingredient of the silly food you have made up. The other person will be the “cook.”
- The “cook” will gather all the ingredients that you and your child made for your silly food.
- The “cook” will assemble all the ingredients by chopping, stirring, kneading, tossing, and patting the “food.” (This means you will knead, stir, and pat your child as though he is a food – and he will do the same to you.)
- The “cook” will cook the “food” – in a stove, skillet, grill, etc. (under a chair for a stove, in a box for a skillet, etc.)
- The “cook” will serve the silly “food” – on a plate with gravy, in a sandwich, on a stick, etc.
- Switch roles as “food” and as “cook” and try the game again.
Come back to Daily Parenting Tips each day for another fun activity.