Today’s Gift Idea:
Here is today’s gift idea tip inspired by our featured picture book, NURSE CLEMENTINE. Read the book to a child in your life each day as a reminder of what you are deciding and practicing that day.
November 20, 2013:
Gift Idea: Consider planning a shopping trip for your child to buy holiday gifts for others.
It’s a good time to teach some good practices about shopping.
- Help the child decide on just a short list of essential people.
- Assign an amount of money to each present on the list so you know you are looking for a $1 gift for Sister Sue and a $5 gift for Grandma.
- Require that the child contribute all of the money needed (if he has a savings for this) or some portion of the money needed (if she has limited ways to earn money). When the child has only a little money, you could match every dime or quarter that he contributes in order to make the budget doable.
- Don’t spend your shopping time hunting for a good idea for each gift. Instead, talk about ideas ahead of time and write down a couple of good ideas for each person. Then, you can go directly to the right store and the right departments within the store and avoid frustration.
- Have fun.
- Stop for a special treat when you are done.
Also remember that you can decide to make your presents instead of buying them and have just as much fun doing “crafts” together.
Come back each day for another good gift idea for this holiday season. (Each day’s idea will also be posted on Daily Parenting Tips page for easy access.) Read the whole story at THAT SPECIAL GIFT, PART 2.