Today’s Parenting Reminder:
You can be matter-of-fact about rules and their consequences.
- When you need to correct your child, practice being calm and matter-of-fact.
- Don’t raise your voice. Speak calmly. Explain exactly what you want done in a matter-of-fact way.
- If you need to insist on a consequence for bad behavior, stay matter-of-fact. No big crisis.
- Remind your child that you both knew the rule and the consequence. This is just the way it is.
- Say something like, “I’m sorry you decided to do that and will miss your TV program tonight. I hope you’ll make a better choice and be able to watch tomorrow night.”
Read more about the need for consequences: Sneaky or Clever, Which Is It?
Next Parenting Reminder will be on Sept. 5, 2015 (Daily Parenting Tips).
Check Daily Parenting Tips for hundreds of past helpful reminders.