Today’s Parenting Tip:
DECIDE: You can know what your special talents and interests are.
PRACTICE: Today, use this checklist to see if your talent/interest list from yesterday needs adjustments.
- How much have you been involved in each activity or topic in the last 6 months (doing, reading, watching)?
- If not very much involved in some topics in the list, how much do you wish you could be more involved?
- How often do you talk with others about each topic?
- How much do you enjoy each topic or think you would enjoy it if you got involved with it again?
- What activities or topics are taking up most of your time these days?
- Do any of those activities that are taking your time bringing you enough enjoyment that they belong on your talent/interest list?
- Do you earn your livelihood from any of the topics on your list?
Remove anything from your list that you think is mostly leftover from days gone by – if you are not really involved in it anymore – if you are not longing or planning to become involved with it again – if you don’t really enjoy it anymore.
Don’t remove things that you haven’t made time for or are rusty at if you still want to be involved with them. If you thought of anything new today that you think belongs on the list, go ahead and add it.
If you didn’t make a talent/interest list yesterday, do it today and later in the day, use this checklist. Your list should be three things you do really well – better than many others. Or, things you are especially interested in – more than in other things.
Today’s Parenting Tip was inspired by our featured picture book, IGGY PECK, ARCHITECT. Read the book to a child in your life each day as a reminder of what you are deciding and practicing that day.
Come back each day for another good parenting decision and how to practice it. (Each day’s activity will also be posted on the Daily Parenting Tips page for easy access.)
Read the whole story at Your Child’s Special Talents, Part 1.